The Inventor Award 2020: A new global competition for children, where the winner will be made into a 3D character in our new stop-motion animated film about Leonardo Da Vinci, called The Inventor, written and directed by Pixar story veteran & writer of Rataouillie, Jim Capobianco.
The overall winner will also win a huge Inventor’s kit including a LEGO Mindstorms robotic kit, Makey Makey kit and the brilliant Empathy Toy from 21Toys, our handpicked selection of toys & tools that we imagine a 21st century Leonardo Da Vinci would love to use.
Are you ready to become an Inventor? No special materials or requirements needed – just some cardboard, imagination, and curiosity. See how to enter below:
- The challenge is to stretch your imagination and discover what you can invent using cardboard & recycled materials. A new game? A mechanical bird? A curious contraption inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci?
- The Grand Prize is for the winner to feature in a scene in The Inventor Film*
- *However as films take a very very long time to make and there are many ups and downs to making a film like this, the Grand Prize Winner will be given a selection of our favourite gadgets & toys that we believe a 21st century Leonardo Da Vinci would love, directly after the competition, and will be featured in the film once it is made.
- Thanks to our incredible partners, the prizes will include a LEGO EV3 Core Robotics Kit as well as our absolute favourite invention kit of all time, The Makey Makey. And also, an essential for all young inventors, we’ll be including the incredible The Empathy Toy®.
- Special entries will feature on our Inventor Awards Gallery on The Inventor website with a description of the invention and the photo.
How to Begin?
We will have a series of cardboard making instructions, tips & tricks from Cardboard Wizard Lottie Smith that we created in partnership with The Festival of Curiosity in Dublin, Ireland. See the workshop & tutorial here
The Rules & How to Enter
- This competition is open to everyone aged 16 and under.
- Entries to the competition must be submitted through our online application form by a parent or guardian of the applicant.
- You will be asked to submit a photo/s and a short description of your invention to enter
- The competition will close on November 30th, 2020 (*After some requests from schools & teachers we are delighted to say we are extending the deadline into the school year and the competition will close on November 30th, 2020*).
- On entering you will be asked to give permission to use your photos and descriptions in our Inventor Award Gallery.
- Winning entries may be used as promotional materials for future Inventor Awards and promotion of The Inventor.